Harold N. Anderson
Harold Anderson became one of the nation's most popular and respected American illustrators throughout the first half of the 20th century, recognized for his assistance to younger artists and illustrators.
Born in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1894, Anderson studied at Fenway Art School with Chase Emerson, Harold Brett and Arthur Spear. He next moved to New Rochelle, New York, to work within the well-known artist colony, home to many of the top commercial illustrators of the day. In 1919, his first illustrations were published in Boys’ Life, followed by commissions from the leading publications, many national advertising campaigns, and twenty-four-sheet billboard posters.
In the 1940’s he moved to Old Greenwich, Connecticut, where he continued his successful career receiving important illustration commissions, particularly his covers for the Saturday Evening Post. Among his many commercial clients were Eli Lilly Pharmaceuticals, Mobil Oil, Pan American Airlines, and numerous other major corporations.
Harold Anderson won numerous poster awards and exhibited in the Art Directors Club Shows in 1937, 1940, 1942, 1946, 1950 and 1951. He was a member of the Society of Illustrators where he had a one-man show in 1942, The Old Greenwich Art Society, the Artists Guild and the Westport Artists. Along with many industry awards and prizes, he was the Director of Carnegie Institute in 1937, 1940, 1942, 1946, 1950 and 1951.
Upon his retirement in 1959 he returned to his home state of Massachusetts, and resided in the resort town Nahant. He died in 1973 at the age of 79, and was inducted into the Illustrators Hall of Fame in 1994.